about Ryan Spitzer
Ryan is an associate attorney in the firm’s Labor and Employment and Public Law Practice Groups. His practice encompasses all areas of labor and employment law and litigation, with a particular emphasis on the intricacies tied to public sector jurisdictions.
Prior to joining Isaac Wiles, Ryan worked for a local labor and employment law firm representing management. His experience includes negotiating collective bargaining agreements, defending employers in grievance arbitrations, and defending management before the National Labor Relations Board, State Employment Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission. Ryan has provided daily counsel to management’s human resources professionals on topics such as the ADA, FMLA, FLSA, and interpretations of Collective Bargaining Agreements.
Before private practice, Ryan worked for the Miami County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. There, he handled civil and criminal matters in the Prosecutor’s office and was involved in the presentation of a number of cases, including felony jury trials, juvenile court adjudications, and Children’s Services matters. He also drafted several appellate briefs and participated in various appellate level oral arguments. While in the Prosecutor’s Office, Ryan’s work included providing legal advice to the Miami County Board of County Commissioners, and various Townships within the county, as well as being appointed a Special Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in multiple counties throughout the region.
When he’s not busy practicing law, Ryan enjoys spending time with his family, and cheering on the Ohio State Buckeyes and all of Cleveland’s sports teams.
education & admissions
- Capital University Law School, cum laude, J.D, 2015
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 2012
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Ohio, 2015
- Southern District of Ohio
- Northern District of Ohio
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Supreme Court of the United States
articles & presentations
- Public Sector Employees and First Amendment Free Speech Under Garcetti, 2020
- CBD Oil and Positive Employee Drug Screens – Users Beware!, 2021
- Your Boss and Your Phone: The Mike Babcock Scandal Highlights a Workplace Battleground
- Transit Agencies Should Tread Carefully When Restricting Photography
- Presenter, Licensing Regulations, and Restrictions – Oh My! An Overview on CDL’s in Townships, Ohio Township Association Winter Conference and Trade Show, January 2023
- Presenter, Unionization and the NLRB Process, Ohio Restaurant Association, October 2022
- CBD Products, Hemp, and Employee Positive Drug Tests, June 2021
- Presenter, HR & Collective Bargaining, CCAO/CEAO Winter Conference, December 2021
professional & community activities
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association