about Thomas L. Hart
A seasoned zoning and land development lawyer and a relentless local government advocate, Tom Hart knows firsthand what homebuilders and land developers deal with on a daily basis.
He’s been an executive level leader for homebuilding and land development companies and trade associations, including a stint as executive director of the Building Industry Association of Central Ohio.
In addition to zoning work, his practice has successfully handled annexation, variances and conditional use approvals, BZA appeals, and land development regulations in nearly every Central Ohio jurisdiction.
Tom also provides commercial and residential land transactions; warranty representation and consumer dispute resolution for homebuilders; public utility advocacy; campaign finance compliance; association law and management consulting; and government relations at the state, county, municipal, and township levels.
education & admissions
Capital University Law School, J.D., 1993
Wittenberg University, B.A., 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
articles & presentations
- “Home Builders Don’t Stand Out With Social Investors – Yet,” Builder Magazine, June 5, 2018
- Strategies to Combat Anti-Growth Sentiment, Building Insider, Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, Volume XXXIII, Issue 7, November/December 2016, Co-authored with Alicia Zambelli, Esq.
- The Center for Powell Crossing Cases and the Anti-Growth Movement, Building Insider, Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, Volume XXXIII, Issue 1, January/February 2016, Co-authored with Alicia Zambelli, Esq.
- The Home Construction Supplier Act – Part 2 of 2, Builder Update, Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, Volume XXX, Issue 1, January/February 2013, Alicia Zambelli, Esq.
- The Home Construction Supplier Act: Recent Major Changes in Ohio Law Part 1 of 2”, Builder Update, An Official Publication of the Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, Volume XXIX, Issue 6, November/December 2012, Co-authored with Alicia Zambelli, Esq.
- The Anti-Growth Movement Surges But Offers Few Solutions
- Mega Trends in Demographics and Economy Driving Housing Decisions
Frequent commentator on housing issues in local media
professional & community activities
Columbus Bar Association
The Building Industry Association
Executive Committee and Board of Trustees, The Columbus Urban League (4 years)
PAC Treasurer, Central Ohio Restaurant Association
Chairman, Building Industry Association Build-PAC
The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2018, 2020
Washburn Schofield Memorial Award, Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, 2017