about Maribeth Meluch
The prototypical renaissance woman, Maribeth Meluch brings a unique set of skills and experiences to her business law practice.
Her uncommon depth of knowledge on every aspect of a business, from the idea stage through practical daily operations, is a product of her own eclectic background. She was once a small retail business owner, and spent several years doing classified research in Molecular Biology for the renowned Battelle Memorial Institute.
The sum of these rich experiences work to the benefit of her clients seeking her guidance on Intellectual Property and Employment law.
From formation and operations, through merger or sale, Maribeth counsels and represents businesses on all of their legal issues including IP, employment, litigation, wage and hour, OSHA, and other regulatory matters.
She also knows the ins and outs of protecting what are most often a business’ most important assets – ideas and people. She has experience enforcing intellectual property rights through filings on copyrights, trademark, and patents, intellectual property litigation, negotiating of licensing agreements, and drafting contracts to protect confidentiality of sensitive information and restrict competition by employees and contractors.
Maribeth diligently represents her clients in Ohio and Federal Courts and administratively before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and other regulatory agencies such as the EEOC, DOL and OSHA.
Maribeth has also created a niche practice in equine law after adopting two retired Thoroughbred racehorses. She assists equine businesses with issues unique to horses and the horse industry from customized contracts to application of federal and state regulations to representing plaintiffs and defendants in lawsuits involving horse related and business issues.
Within the firm, Maribeth is Chair of the Intellectual Property practice group and head of the Firm’s Diversity Committee.
education & admissions
Capital University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1991
Miami University, B.A, Microbiology and Zoology
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Courts, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
Senanayake v. Delaware County Sheriff’s Office, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – obtained unanimous defense verdict on plaintiff’s claim for sexual harassment, hostile work environment and retaliation.
Howell v. The Buckeye Ranch, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – obtained summary judgment for defendant on claim of sexual harassment.
Cranel, Inc. v. Pro Image Group Consultants, Inc., U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – obtained dismissal of claims against defendants under Federal RICO and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.
Machisa Design Services, Inc. v. Columbus School Board, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – obtained dismissal of racial discrimination claims against defendants.
Mize v. Mendoza, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – obtained summary judgment for defendant on basis that employee with use of one arm was not disabled under the ADA.
Debra Cook v. Mid Ohio Ambulance Service, Inc., Fairfield County Court of Common Pleas – unanimous jury verdict in favor of defendant on claim for sexual harassment.
Hidy Motors, Inc. v. Sheaffer, Greene County Court of Common Pleas – unanimous jury verdict in favor of plaintiff on defendant’s counterclaim for age harassment.
Kozlvcar v. Tom Ahl Buick, Inc., U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio – obtained summary judgment for defendant on age discrimination claim.
Helmick v. SWACO, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – obtained summary judgment for defendant on issue of light duty under FMLA.
Viking Technology, Inc. v. K-mart, Inc. et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio – successfully co-defended to settlement in favor of defendants.
Minton v. Buckeye Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc., U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, obtained summary judgment for defendant on age discrimination claim.
Millington v. Morrow County Commissioners, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, obtained summary judgment for defendant on FLSA overtime claim.
Harger Family Trust v. Morrow County Planning Commission, et al., Morrow County Court of Common Pleas, obtained unanimous jury verdict for defendants on ‘takings’ claim.
Billock v. Wyandot County Ohio Jobs and Family Services, Wyandot County Court of Common Pleas, successfully negotiated withdrawal of complaint on behalf of agency and with no remuneration by employer.
articles & presentations
- Quoted in, “Former Delaware County deputy loses wrongful termination lawsuit,” Columbus Dispatch, September 27, 2017
- “4 Union Organization Changes Restaurateurs Need to Know,” Fast Casual and Pizza Marketplace, December 19, 2016
- Co-author, Legal Treatise, Civil Service Law in Ohio, Banks Baldwin, 1993
- What Does the Ohio Equine Immunity Statute Mean?
- Trademark Scam Alert
- The U.S Supreme Court Clarifies That Willfulness is Not a Predicate Finding for Lost Profits in Trademark Infringement Claim
- Paying Tipped Employees for Non-Tipped Activities
- When Employees Refuse to Return to Work Due to COVID-19
- A Kinder Gentler OSHA?
- Department of Labor Issues Temporary Rule Clarifying Small Business Exemption from the Requirements to Pay “Paid Sick Leave & Expanded FMLA Leave”
- Employer Liability for COVID-19
- Legal Update: New Overtime Exemption Rules
- “Paying the Piper – Best Practices for Playing Music in Restaurants,” Modern Restaurant Management
- Patent Licensing Agreements, The Inventors Network, January 10, 2016
- B.E.D. and Breakfast Series Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce
- First Fridays Seminar Series Sunbury Area Chamber
- National Business Institute
- Emerging Infectious Diseases and How They May Impact the Workplace
- Accommodations in the Workplace – A study on the ADA and Religion
- Red Flag Regulations for Business
- Managing Electronic Data for Business and Legal Purposes
- Fair Labor Standard Act 2015 Revisions
- Employment Laws 2015
- National Labor Relations Board Recommendations on Employment policies for social media
- Responding to OCRC/EEOC Complaints
- Intellectual Property Primer
- Ten Top Legal Mistakes Business Owners Make
- FLSA Exemption Boot Camp
professional & community activities
Ohio State Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2000-2004
Columbus Bar Association
Delaware County Bar Association
Board Member, Sunbury Galena Rotary Club
Board Member, Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce
Board Member/Trustee, Delaware County Law Library
Board of Zoning Appeals, Kingston Township
Board of Directors, Big Walnut Chamber of Commerce
Founding Member and Chair, Delaware Convivialists Society
Past: President Delaware Area Chamber of Commerce, President Sunbury Galena Rotary, Kingston Township Zoning Commission
Ohio Super Lawyers®, 2012-2013, 2015-2021
The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2015-2021; Commercial Litigation 2020-2021
The Best Lawyers in America® “Laywer of the Year” Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2019
AV – Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
Highlighted in Columbus Business First, People to Know in the Law, Equine Law, November 2014
OSBA’s Community Service Award for Lawyers under 40 for the Fifth District, 1996