about Joseph C. Pickens
As a collaborative and assertive litigator focused on civil litigation, including all aspects of debtor/creditor litigation, Joe represents clients in a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including contract disputes, business torts, real estate disputes, eminent domain actions, professional negligence/malpractice claims and administrative law actions. He frequently appears before state and federal trial and appellate courts, as well as state and other government agencies.
Joe was a collegiate and professional athlete and remains an avid fitness and sports enthusiast. This contributes to his competitive nature as he hates to lose more than he loves to win, and his fine-tuned attention to every detail while remaining focused on what matters most to his client and the case.
Recognized by his peers for excellence in commercial litigation as a Rising Star by Ohio Super Lawyers and honored by Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation, and Bankruptcy Litigation, Joe is a graduate of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law and received his undergrad from Duke University.
When not practicing law, Joe is an unapologetic Cleveland professional sports fan, plays on softball and vintage baseball teams, and enjoys training for and completing triathlons. But he’s most proud of being a dad to his 5-year old daughter.
education & admissions
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 2002
Duke University, B.A., 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
6th Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
U.S. Supreme Court, Ohio
professional & community activities
American Bar Association, Member
Columbus Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association, Member
Ohio State Bar Association, Member
Columbus Legal Aid, Active Volunteer
• Represented clients in wide ranges of commercial litigation, including contract disputes, business torts, real estate disputes, eminent domain actions, professional negligence/malpractice claims and administrative law actions.
• Represented governments and municipalities throughout Ohio, including counties, townships and municipalities.
• Represented business entities and individuals in bankruptcy court litigation, including preference, fraudulent transfer and nondischargeability proceedings.
• Represented commercial real estate landlords in the removal of and monetary recovery from tenants.
• Represented individuals and business entities in defending and prosecuting claims regarding the enforcement and validity of personal guaranties.
• Represented creditors in all aspects of post-judgment collection proceedings.
• Represented individuals and business entities in domestic relations and family law issues and litigation.
• Attorney and Law Clerk with office of division counsel for Harsco Corporation, 2001-2004
• Prior to his legal career, Joe played football professionally for several years, including two seasons in Europe.
Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Bankruptcy Litigation, 2016 – Present
Ohio Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2007, 2012