about John C. Lucas
His keen understanding of both human nature and financial numbers have helped John Lucas build a long successful career in helping clients.
He has over three decades of experience advising family businesses, contractors, homebuilders and real estate developers on a variety of legal matters ranging from entity formation, tax planning, and succession planning to general business matters.
With a background as a certified public accountant with the tax department of a “Big Eight” public accounting firm, John brings tax planning and financial expertise to his client’s projects. He also has an extensive estate planning practice, attending to the estate and succession planning needs of his clients.
He is one of only a handful of attorneys in Ohio certified by the Ohio State Bar Association and recognized by the Ohio Supreme Court as both a Specialist in Federal Taxation Law and Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law.
John is Chair of the Estate Planning, Trust & Probate and Tax Law practice groups at Isaac Wiles.
- Certified Public Accountant State of Ohio
- OSBA Certified Specialist In Federal Taxation Law
- OSBA Certified Specialist In Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
education & admissions
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 1976
Miami University, B.A., Accounting, 1973
Bar & Court Admissions
U.S District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 1980
U.S. Tax Court, 1987
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2014
articles & presentations
- Significant 2018 Federal Income Tax Changes for Business Owners, Building Insider, September/October 2018
- New Income Tax Deduction for Certain Business Owners, Columbus CEO, March 13, 2018
- Significant 2018 Federal Income Tax Changes for Business Owners – Building Insider Magazine
- New Income Tax Deduction for Certain Business Owners – Columbus CEO
- Positive Changes to Ohio Custodial Accounts for Minors
- “Difficult Math: When Some Children Don’t Want to Join the Family Business,” – Columbus Business First
- Able Accounts, Professional Advisor Group of The Catholic Foundation, 2015
- Tax Relief Act of 2010—Estate Gift and GST Tax and Business Changes, Columbus Bar Association Taxing Matters Series, Business Tax Committee, 2011
- Are You Addressing Estate Tax Repeal?, The Professional Advisors Group of the Catholic Foundation, 2010
professional & community activities
American Bar Association, Taxation Committee
Ohio State Bar Association
Columbus Bar Association, Estate Planning, Trusts, Probate, Federal Tax, and Special Needs Trusts
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Tax Section
Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants
Building Industry Association of Central Ohio, Associate Member
The William H. Davis, Dorothy M. Davis and William C. Davis Foundation, Vice President and Treasurer, Director—a supporting organization of The Columbus Foundation.
The Catholic Foundation of Columbus, Professional Advisor Group
The Columbus Foundation, Professional Council
St Brigid of Kildare Catholic Church, Dublin, Ohio, Planned Giving Committee
Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist