about Benjamin Humphrey
Benjamin is not afraid to go the extra mile. In fact, he has been doing so all his life. As an avid runner, he understands what it takes to strategically create a plan of action to achieve the desired outcome and applies that same approach when working with clients.
Benjamin makes his clients feel heard. His greatest reward is seeing his clients succeed in their endeavors by providing support to get them across the finish line. Handling delicate and stressful situations is where Benjamin thrives. As a former Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Franklin County, practicing in labor & employment and civil litigation, he is no stranger to representing political subdivisions, employees, and elected officials. Having practiced in several different levels of courts and administrative settings, Benjamin is well-suited to provide both the advocacy and advice to best serve his clients.
education & admissions
Capital University Law School, J.D., 2015
Miami University, B.A., 2012
Bar & Court Admissions
United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
United States Supreme Court
- Atkinson v. Muskingum Cty. Comm’rs, No. 2:20-cv-1642, 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 32004 (S.D. Ohio Feb. 22, 2021)
Practice Area: Public Law; Outcome: Client’s motion for summary judgment granted.
- Dade v. Franklin Cty., No. 2:17-cv-552, 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 96720 (S.D. Ohio June 10, 2019), affirmed by 802 Fed. Appx. 878; Practice Area: Labor and Employment Law/Public Law; Outcome: Client’s motion for summary judgment granted.
- Lowes v. Baldwin, No. 2:18-cv-537, 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 222325 (S.D. Ohio Dec. 30, 2019), affirmed by 2020 U.S. App. LEXIS 32656; Practice Area: Labor and Employment/Public Law; Outcome: Client’s motion for summary judgment granted.
- FCCS v. Federation of Franklin County Children Services, Local 3143, OFT/AFT Termination (FMCS 171005-50094-6); Practice Area: Labor and Employment/Public Law; Outcome: Happy client–successfully settled.
- In the Matter of the Arbitration Between: Franklin County Sheriff’s Office and FOP, Capital City Lodge #9 (FMCS 180119-00632); Practice Area: Labor and Employment/Public Law; Outcome: Successfully advocated for the employer and the grievance was denied.
- Bruffy v. Franklin County Board of Developmental Disabilities (SPBR Case No. 15-REM-06-0072); Practice Area: Labor and Employment/Public Law; Outcome: Successfully advocated for the employer and the Board affirmed removal of employee.
- Cisar v. FCBDD (SPBR Case No. 2018-REM-06-0116; Practice Area: Labor and Employment/Public Law; Outcome: Successful oral argument in front of full Board adopting settlement agreement and dismissing appeal.
articles & presentations
- Coauthor, “Can I require my employees to get the COVID-19 vaccine?” January 5, 2021
- Coauthor of a publication in the Journal of Pediatric Radiology titled Ectopic Cerebellum in the Posterior Cranial Fossa. Nagaraj U, Boue DR, Humphrey B, Martin LC. Pediatr Radiol. 2012 Nov; 42(11):1391-4. doi: 10.1007/s00247-012-2411-5. Epub 2012 May 10. PubMed PMID: 22573210
- Interviewed by 10TV-WBNS for their segment “VERIFY: Can your employer mandate you get the COVID-19 vaccine?” January 17, 2021
- Presenter, “COVID: Can we require masks? Vaccination? Testing? Navigating Health orders, science, your collective bargaining agreement and federal anti-discrimination law” to members of Schools of Ohio Risk Sharing Authority. December 10, 2020
- Presenter, “Managing Workforce Issues related to COVID-19 and Compliance with Government and Department of Health Orders” to members of Schools of Ohio Risk Sharing Authority. September 18, 2020
- Presenter, “They tried to make me go to work, I said, ‘no, no, no’ –How Employers can Respond to Teachers Who Claim COVID Fear to Refuse to Teach on Site” to members of Schools of Ohio Risk Sharing Authority. September 16, 2020
- Presenter, “The FMLA: We didn’t have to make any of this up…” to Human Resources Departments from Franklin County Agencies, 2018
professional & community activities
- Columbus Bar Association
- Law & Leadership Institute–Former instructor and volunteer